Friday 20 February 2015

Making the Shop Tick

The idea of making a carved leather clock had been in the back of my mind for some time. I'd thought about it often, but could never decide on the right sort of design. I knew it had to look right, not be just any picture made into a clock.

One day I was working on a picture of a Rumpelstiltskin type character, tangled up in his own beard but delightfully oblivious to any concerns. The picture began in a square format, but I realised that it would make and interesting circular design. It was then only a small step to think of making it into a clock.

I started the first clock face on Christmas Day, and had it finished it before New Years Eve. Soon I realised that I should have included numerals around the outside, so a second version was made.


This worked better, I could actually tell the time with this one, which is always an advantage when it comes to clocks.

Then it was suggested that the Tinner's Hare would make a good clock face. I'd carved this design on bags and journal covers in the past, so it was no problem to make it into a clock face. This one is coloured with leather dyes rather than with paint.

Available from our Etsy Store

"Leather clock" rhymes with "Weathercock", an amusing thought which prompted me to make this one, showing a cockerel heralding the rising sun with a golden trumpet.

Available from our Etsy Sore
Now, when all is still and quiet, the shop is filled with comforting sound of gentle ticking.

No comments:

Post a Comment